Work has been completed on the £2 million Weavers’ Yard project, which has transformed the historic Sunny Bank Mills complex in Farsley, near Leeds.
Owners and directors John and William Gaunt have invested £10 million in Sunny Bank Mills during the past 11 years to regenerate the 10-acre site and to reclaim its status as the prime employer in Farsley.
Now the central part of the estate has been remodelled to create open spaces and to re-establish the prominence of historic mill buildings. The main contractor was Leeds-based CBM Construction.
John Gaunt explained: “We embarked on an exciting new stage of the regeneration of Sunny Bank Mills by selectively demolishing some commercially unviable buildings, totalling 65,000 sq ft, in the heart of the site. This has been the biggest and most ambitious exciting development yet at Sunny Bank Mills.
“It will allow us to restore and develop some of the most important buildings at Sunny Banks Mills, such as the Old Woollen Mill, the oldest building on site, dating back to 1829. It was hemmed in on all sides. This will enable us to restore other buildings on site, including The Twisting Gallery and The Old Dyehouse.
“This very significant project has also transformed the visibility, accessibility and parking at Sunny Bank Mills, while retaining the sense of history with pockets of mill yards and easily identifiable landmark buildings of a 19th century textile mill.
“Importantly, Weavers’ Yard now features 5,000 sq ft of green space at the heart of the mill, effectively creating an amphitheatre that will be used for outdoor performances and break-out space for the occupiers, tenants and visitors of Sunny Bank Mills.”
Rachel Slater of Leeds architects KPP, who have masterminded this transformation, explained: “Breaking through the defensive Town Street facade between the Festoon Rooms and the 1912 Mill has revealed views towards Weavers’ Yard and the northlight roofs of Red Lane Mill.
“Meanwhile demolition of the infill weaving sheds has exposed facades the original mill buildings not seen for over 80 years.
“The area resulting from the demolition deliver an open space at the heart of the mill complex, providing much-needed connectivity across the site, from the Woodland car park to the Old Combing; and Red Lane Mill to the 1912 Mill.”
William Gaunt added: “We have already created 370 jobs at Sunny Bank Mills, with more than 70 companies on site. This next phase will ultimately create many more, with the regenerated buildings creating wonderful work and leisure space. We now have the flexibility, the time and the confidence to deliver a sustainable future for Sunny Bank Mills.
“The remodelling of the heart of Sunny Banks Mills has ensured that the mill woodland is protected, while mill ponds provide fantastic amenity space for everyone who lives and works here. It now also provides 96 more parking spaces.
“We believe very strongly that we must preserve the legacy of Sunny Bank Mills for future generations. We are wholly our committed to the site and to the Farsley community, encouraging the community to become involved in what we are doing here.
“We have retained and refurbished existing historic buildings such as Sandsgate, the Mending Rooms and the 1912 Mill to create new jobs and to make Sunny Bank Mills the economic powerhouse of Farsley once again.”