Fitzalan Square in Sheffield is set to be part pedestrianised in order to create ‘a larger, open and more useable space’ in the city.
The Fitzalan Square project aims to upgrade the route from the Edwardian-era square along Pond Street to Paternoster Row and Brown Street, the focus of the Cultural Industries Quarter as well as improving connections to the city centre and station.
Current plans will create a new pedestrianised square by relocating traffic to the west and removing trees, buildings and structures to make a route through Esperanto Place to improve the link to the city centre.
The work forms part of the Knowledge Gateway scheme in the north east section of the city, which includes Flat Street, Pond Street and Esperanto Place between Fitzalan Square and Arundel Gate.
The scheme aims to help unlock major development opportunities and create the setting for more than 4,000 new jobs over the next five years.
Esperanto Place will be opened up as a visual and pedestrian route to the city centre by demolishing 31 Arundel Gate, which is currently occupied by a takeaway, and 33/35 Arundel Gate.
The new space will enable the construction of a new stepped link between the sites.
The plan is to regenerate The Knowledge Gateway and to build a strategically located centre to fully exploit the presence of an increasingly successful Sheffield Hallam University and Sheffield Digital Campus on Sheaf Street.
A planning statement stresses: “As well as a space in its own right, it is important that Fitzalan Square is seen as a key gateway location between the city centre and Castlegate and needs to read as a co-ordinated space with the wider masterplan proposals, providing a strong visual and physical pedestrian link.
“By creating a new pedestrian space for the city, it is hoped this will encourage more pedestrians to enter and remain in the square and thereby lead to the regeneration of the surrounding area.”
Fitzalan Square contains a number of grade II-listed sites including the statue of Edward VII which was erected 1913, the White Building constructed in 1908 and the Head Post Office and attached railings.