The comprehensive £5 million refurbishment of a central Leeds building, which was originally the home of Hepworth Tailors, will be completed in July.
Wellington Park House, now renamed Tailors Corner, was bought for an undisclosed sum by property developers Boultbee Brooks in 2018.
The building, which is situated on the corner of Wellington Street and Thirsk Row, has been transformed into flexible Grade A office space.
Eamon Fox, partner with property consultancy Knight Frank in Leeds, who are marketing Tailors Corner, said: “Set over seven floors and offering over 25,000 sq ft of design-led Grade A workspace with suites from 1,500 sq ft, we have rebuilt the past and reinvented it for today.
“This iconic building is steeped in history — formerly a fabric and garment warehouse with a state-of-the-art retail space at street level, it’s always been a site for trailblazers and forward-thinkers.
“Fast forward to 2021 and we have invigorated this building with life, energy and verve. It’s called Tailors Corner in honour of its history – making its mark once more. We’ve designed Tailors Corner around real people; the way people work, and what they do in between. We are offering a host of flexible office options, from fitted/turnkey to unfitted.
“Already there is a tremendous interest in this building, with our first tenants in legals. Potential occupiers range from professional firms to creative and media companies and ambitious entrepreneurs. With the end of lockdown in sight, the doors of Tailors Corner are well and truly open.
“A green agenda is paramount here. We’ve done away with basement parking for the privileged few, in favour of installing bike storage and shower facilities for everyone. And there’s an incredible communal roof terrace, with feature plating, for all the tenants.”
The renovation of Tailors Corner was led by the same architectural team gpad, Hollis and Hoare Lea LLP, as many of Boultbee Brooks’ past developments, including Concordia Works in Leeds.
The comprehensive refurbishment includes: A new, bespoke 8-person lift; cleaned and overhauled elevations; a new communal roof terrace with feature planting, decking and views of the Leeds skyline; architecturally sympathetic feature ground floor entrances; a communal roof terrace on the 7th floor, with a 6th floor terrace for exclusive use of that floor’s occupants; new double glazed windows throughout; dedicated entrances on Wellington Street and Thirsk Row; showers and changing rooms; and 30 cycle racks.
Wellington Park House was originally built in 1881 for Hepworth Tailors but was badly damaged by the Great Fire of Leeds in July 1906. It was subsequently completely rebuilt and continued to be occupied by Hepworths, the forerunners of Next, until the 1920s.