Sunday, July 5, 2020

China finalises deal to lift 20-year ban on British beef imports

The British beef industry is set to benefit from an estimated £230m boost as the Chinese government finalises details of a historic UK-China agreement.

For the first time in over 20 years, UK farmers and beef producers will have full access to the Chinese market, marking the end of a ban imposed by China following the BSE outbreak in 1996.

Friday’s announcement follows extensive inspections by the Chinese authorities – who have confirmed that British beef producers meet the necessary standards to export to their market – and marks the final step in securing access.

The Chinese authorities have cleared four beef sites for export in the first instance – with further sites under review – and the first exports are expected to be shipped in the next few months.

Environment Secretary Theresa Villiers said: “Sealing this landmark agreement with China is huge news for our world-renowned food and farming industry, meaning more people across the globe can enjoy British beef.

“Today’s milestone marks another step towards unlocking the industry’s full potential, and reflects our ambition to maximise trading opportunities for British produce across the world as the UK leaves the EU.

International Trade Secretary Liz Truss said: “Chinese diners can now enjoy the best beef in the world. I’m delighted that our dedicated UK producers can now sell quality products to one of the world’s largest economies, supporting local jobs and bringing millions of pounds to the UK economy each year.”

This is another step forward in realising our global trading ambitions with unbeatable British food. As we leave the European Union, we will continue to break down market access barriers to make it easier for UK businesses to trade across the world.

The China-UK beef agreement is the culmination of several years of engagement between UK and Chinese government officials. China’s ban was lifted in June last year, when market access engagement for UK beef exports began.

AHDB International Market Development Director Dr Phil Hadley said: “This is a great end to a very successful year for our red meat exports. This new agreement is fantastic news for our beef processors who will now have access to another market outside of the EU.

“We continue to work collaboratively with government to create new opportunities for our red meat exports and today’s announcement is a testament to the persistence and hard work of all involved.

“We look forward to seeing the first shipments of beef arrive in China and hope to replicate the success of our pork exports in the beef sector.”

The announcement comes after China recently approved five British pork plants to export products to China, which will build on a market which is already worth £70m per year.

China is currently the UK’s eighth largest export market for food and drink, with more than £610m worth of products bought by Chinese consumers last year.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our news site - please take a moment to read this important message:

As you know, our aim is to bring you, the reader, an editorially led news site and magazine but journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them.

With the Covid-19 lockdown having a major impact on our industry as a whole, the advertising revenues we normally receive, which helps us cover the cost of our journalists and this website, have been drastically affected.

As such we need your help. If you can support our news sites/magazines with either a small donation of even £1, or a subscription to our magazine, which costs just £31.50 per year, (inc p&P and mailed direct to your door) your generosity will help us weather the storm and continue in our quest to deliver quality journalism.

As a subscriber, you will have unlimited access to our web site and magazine. You'll also be offered VIP invitations to our events, preferential rates to all our awards and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Just click here to subscribe and in the meantime may I wish you the very best.




Latest news

University of Lincoln research predicts digital future for law firm

Students participating in the University of Lincoln’s Graduate Skills Builder programme have recently submitted a report following a market research project to a regional...

Four Yorkshire restaurants to close as Casual Dining Group enters administration

Casual Dining Group (CDG) the operator of restaurant brands including Las Iguanas, Bella Italia and Café Rouge, has appointed Clare Kennedy, Peter Saville, Daniel...

Forza Foods’ Normanton factory sees Coronavirus outbreak

Forza Foods’ Normanton site has seen an outbreak of COVID-19. As of Thursday 2 July, 17 members of the workforce have tested positive for Coronavirus. 300...

Work starts ready for £1.2m revamp and extension of craft centre

Preparations are underway for a £1.2 million project to reconfigure, extend and enhance the National Centre for Craft and Design in Sleaford. Lindum Group started...

Forrester Boyd acquires Hull accountancy practice

Independent Humber accountancy firm, Forrester Boyd, has acquired Hull-based accountancy practice Graybrowne. The acquisition is part of the firm’s ambition as it looks to evolve...

Sheffield rail tech company secures HS2 contract

3Square, a railway technology company based in Sheffield, has secured a major contract working on High Speed Two (HS2). The company is working with one...

Related news

University of Lincoln research predicts digital future for law firm

Students participating in the University of Lincoln’s Graduate Skills Builder programme have recently submitted a report following a market research project to a regional...

Four Yorkshire restaurants to close as Casual Dining Group enters administration

Casual Dining Group (CDG) the operator of restaurant brands including Las Iguanas, Bella Italia and Café Rouge, has appointed Clare Kennedy, Peter Saville, Daniel...

Forza Foods’ Normanton factory sees Coronavirus outbreak

Forza Foods’ Normanton site has seen an outbreak of COVID-19. As of Thursday 2 July, 17 members of the workforce have tested positive for Coronavirus. 300...

Work starts ready for £1.2m revamp and extension of craft centre

Preparations are underway for a £1.2 million project to reconfigure, extend and enhance the National Centre for Craft and Design in Sleaford. Lindum Group started...

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close