Almost 70 East Midlands companies have been named the in London Stock Exchange Group’s 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain report.
The companies cover a wide range of sectors including retail, IT and manufacturing.
East Midlands companies include the Carfulan Group, suppliers ofadvanced manufacturing solutions to more than 700 customers across a wide range of industries including aerospace, automotive, oil & gas and medical; L J Fairburn & Son, the UK’s largest egg producers and packers, and the Coaching Inn Group, which specialises in market town hotel, restaurant and coffee shop venues throughout the UK
This year’s report in numbers:
- Companies’ revenue growing at an exceptional average rate of 71% on average, continuing previous year’s rate of 70%, despite strong economic headwinds
- All UK regions represented, with 60% of companies from outside London and the South East
- 34% of companies are from the Northern Powerhouse and Midlands Engine regions
- Companies in the North West are the fastest growing with 232% annual average revenue growth
- Report features companies in both traditional industries and more recent economic success stories; largest sector represented is Engineering and Construction with 132 companies, followed by Information Technology with 72 companies
- Financial Services is one of the fastest growing sectors with an average annual revenue growth rate of more than 461%, followed by Engineering and Construction at 109%
- Five companies have featured in the ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report series over the past five years
Chancellor Philip Hammond said:“Small businesses are the backbone of the British economy with a combined annual turnover of £1.9 trillion and employ 60% of private sector workers outside of London. That’s why, whether they are family run firms or tech start-ups, we are supporting high growth SMEs to achieve their potential.”
Nikhil Rathi, CEO London Stock Exchange Plc, said: “We warmly congratulate all of the companies identified in this year’s ‘1000 companies to Inspire Britain’ report. Five years on, the report continues to demonstrate the strength and diversity of British businesses across the country. These dynamic companies are the backbone of our economy, playing an important role in the UK’s ability to innovate, export and grow.
“The 69 East Midlands companies in this year’s report are testament to the entrepreneurial spirit and economic and job creating potential of businesses from the region. Policy makers must continue to increase access to growth capital for these firms, which would in turn benefit the wider UK economy.”
The report series continues to receive cross-party support from leading politicians including The Rt Hon Theresa May MP, The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, The Rt Hon Nicola Sturgeon MSP, The First Minister of Scotland, and Jonathan Reynolds MP, Shadow Economic Secretary to the Treasury, all of whom contributed commentary to the report.